About Skilled Nominated visa 190

We encourage clients to be informed before making commitments


To point you in the right direction

An informed decision is made when needs are defined and requirements, risks and obligations are understood.

Need any clarification? Talk with us…

Contact Us

Skilled Nominated visa 190

Basic Information – Relevant to Individuals
Information Source: Australian Government – Department of Home Affairs

have an occupation on the relevant skilled list
have a suitable skills assessment for the occupation
satisfy points test
be invited to apply for this visa, and;

Submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) with details of your nominated occupation, skills and qualifications. Your estimated points score is used to rank you against other intending migrants. If you are ranked high enough and there are places available for your nominated occupation, you will be invited to apply for the visa. If you are invited, you have 60 calendar days to apply for the visa.


Be invited to apply

• You can only apply for this visa if we invite you to.
• Submit an expression of interest (EOI) to let us know you would like to apply for the visa.
• After you have submitted an EOI, you might be nominated for the visa by a state or territory government.

• We will only invite you to apply for this visa if you are nominated.

Be nominated

You must have been nominated for this visa by an Australian state or territory government agency.
Submit a completed expression of interest (EOI) in SkillSelect. State and territory government agencies can see your completed EOI and might nominate you for the visa.
If you are nominated for the visa, we will invite you to apply.
All state and territory government agencies have their own criteria for deciding who they will nominate. Contact the state or territory agency directly to find out more about their nomination process and what they want from you.
Australian Capital Territory
New South Wales
Northern Territory
South Australia
Western Australia

If the state or territory agency that nominates you withdraws your nomination after you have applied, your application is becomes invalid.

Have a relevant skills assessment

For your application to be valid, you must declare that you have a suitable skills assessment at the time of invitation.
You will need to provide a copy of this skills assessment with your application.
For medical and legal practitioners, we also accept the following as proof of a skills assessment:
full or unconditional or general medical registration with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency
conditional specialist registration with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency. This only allows you to practise in your speciality. You need no further training or supervision
admission to practice law in the relevant state or territory
Your skills assessment must have been obtained in the 3 years before the date of your invitation. If the assessment was for a shorter period, that period must not have passed.
If your skills were assessed on the basis of a qualification you got in Australia when you held a student visa, the qualification must be from studying a course registered on CRICOS.

Be this age

You must be aged under 45 when we invite you to apply for the visa.
You can still apply for the visa if you turn 45 after we invite you to apply.
If you turn 45 after you submit your EOI but before we invite you to apply, you will not be invited to apply.

Be able to score 65 points or more

The subclass 190 is a points-tested visa.
When you submit your EOI in SkillSelect you will be given an indicative points score based on the claims you have made. If you do not obtain a score of 65 points you will not be invited to apply for this visa.
If we do invite you to apply for the visa, your invitation will state the number of points that you must score when we assess your application for grant of the visa (this score may be higher than 65 points, depending on your claims in the EOI).
When you lodge your application you must provide evidence supporting your claims.

Have this level of English language

Competent English

What to provide?
To prove you have competent English, show us evidence that:
you are a citizen of and hold a valid passport issued by the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada, New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland


you have an English test result better than specified

Meet the skills requirement

Your occupation must be on the relevant list of eligible skilled occupations for the 190 Skilled Nominated visa

Meet our health requirement

You and any family who apply for the visa with you must meet our health requirement.
If requested, family members not accompanying you to Australia might also need to meet our health requirement.

Meet our character requirement

You and family members aged 16 years and over who apply for the visa with you must meet our character requirement.
Family members not accompanying you to Australia must also meet the character requirement.

Have paid back your debt to the Australian government

If you or any family members (including those who do not apply for the visa with you) owe the Australian Government money, you or they must have paid it back or arranged to pay it back.

Sign the Australian values statement

If you are 18 years of age or older, you must:
have read, or had explained to you, the Life in Australia and
confirm you will respect the Australian way of life and obey Australian laws when you sign an Australian Values Statement

Not had a visa cancelled or a previous application refused

You might not be eligible for this visa if you have had a visa cancelled or refused while you were in Australia. Check if visa cancellation affects your eligibility.



About this visa (subclass 190)


stay in Australia permanently
work and study in Australia
enrol in Australia’s public health care scheme, Medicare
sponsor your relatives to come to Australia
travel to and from Australia for 5 years
if eligible, become an Australian citizen
Newly arrived residents may have to wait before they can access certain Australian Government payments and benefits.

How long you can stay?

This is a permanent visa. It lets you stay in Australia indefinitely. The visa has a travel component that expires 5 years after the date of visa grant.
You become a permanent resident on the day we grant the visa.
For citizenship purposes, your permanent residency starts on the day:
we grant the visa, if you are in Australia
you enter Australia on this visa, if you are outside Australia

Include family?

You can include members of the family unit in your application. You can:
include them when you lodge your visa application
add them after you lodge your application but before we decide on your visa.
Family members who apply for the visa must meet our health and character requirements. Family members not accompanying you to Australia might also need to meet our health and character requirements.
If your partner or dependent children are not included in this application, to assist us in processing your visa please tell us the reason why.


The visa costs AUD 3,755 for the main applicant.
There is also a charge for each family member who applies for the visa with you.
To work out what your visa will cost use the Visa Pricing Estimator.
You might have to pay an extra charge for any applicant 18 years old or older who has less than functional English. This charge is called the second instalment. Pay it only when we ask you to. We ask for the charge only if we are going to grant the visa.
The second instalment charge for family members is AUD 4,885
The Visa Pricing Estimator does not include the second instalment or other costs. You might also have to pay other costs for health checks, police certificates and biometrics.

Apply from

You can be in or outside Australia when you apply for the visa and when we decide your application but not in immigration clearance.
If you apply in Australia, you must hold a substantive or a Subclass 010 Bridging A visa, a Subclass 020 Bridging B visa or A Subclass 030 Bridging C visa, otherwise your application will not be valid.

Processing times

We assess applications on a case-by-case basis, and actual processing times can vary due to individual circumstances including:
whether you have lodged a complete application, including all necessary supporting documents
how quickly you respond to any requests for additional information
how long it takes to perform required checks on the supporting information provided
how long it takes to receive additional information from external agencies, particularly in relation to health, character, and national security requirements
for permanent migration visa applications, how many places are available in the migration program


You can travel in and out of Australia as many times as you want for 5 years from the date we grant the visa. After 5 years you will need a Resident Return (RRV) visa (subclass 155 or 157) to re-enter Australia as a permanent resident.

Visa label

We will digitally link your visa to your passport. You will not get a label in your passport.



Shanthi Silva was admitted as a Lawyer in the Supreme Court of the State of New South Wales, Australia in February 2010. Shanthi is also qualified as a Bachelor of Business with major studies in Industrial Relations and Human Resource Management. Having worked in Government, Industry and Corporate sectors her legal experience includes Compliance law, Industrial Relations and Employment law, and Migration law.

LLB, Grad. Dip Legal Practice
B.BUS (Industrial Relations & Human Resource Management)


Migration Agent

Note: The Australian Government grants Migration Agent Licences to individuals, not corporations. The Migrations Services provided are under the authority of the Migration Agent Licence held by our principal Migration Lawyer, Shanthi Silva.